by Kaitlyn Raymundo
Responsibilities. So many responsibilities that come with moving out. It’s incredibly fun and exciting but there are plenty of mistakes to be made on the way. In some ways I think they add to the experience. Anyone who knows me personally also knows that I have little to no experience in the kitchen so, naturally, that’s where I have most of my blunders. Ironic, I know, considering the amount of time I spend thinking of, planning, and consuming food. To save you a little trouble, or maybe to grant you a little giggle because if I’m honest this might be a me problem, I’ve chronicled some of my greatest kitchen fails and unorthodox hacks.
Hacks! (let’s start with these because it’s a short list)
2. Marinate!- Now this one I might be alone on but hey, I’ve never marinated anything before. Did you know that you can marinate chicken overnight in- wait for it- a plastic bag!?! Life changing. Easy, and it saved me from having bland salt and pepper chicken over and over again last year. Here’s the specific marinade I used that is absolutely delicious. https://cafedelites.com/grilled-chilli-lime-chicken-fajita-salad/
3. Disposal, more than just an accessory- Again, this might be a me thing, but at home we didn’t use the disposal for much more than when little food bits washed off our plates and needed to be properly washed down the sink. College revelation- use the disposal for soft food bits you need to dispose of. Strawberry tops. Spinach. Other things I can’t think of at the moment. Genius! Also, I’ve been told to squeeze lime down it to clean and that, at the very least, makes the sink smell nicer.
Fails! (there are kind of a lot, probably more than listed, but I’m embracing it)
3. Boil water you say?- So. I may or may not know how to boil water. I thought I did. If chemistry lab taught me anything, I thought it was how to boil stuff. Clearly I thought wrong. One night while cooking dinner for a guest, I was in charge of boiling potatoes before we could mash them. I somehow did it wrong and we had to delay dinner for another half hour while we all took turns hammering away at hard potatoes. It haunts me to this day as the pinnacle of my kitchen incompetence.
4. Pasta… it’s easy- Or so I thought. I promise I know how to make pasta. I just don’t know exactly the ratio of water or any of that apparently because when my roommates saw me boiling a full pot of water, they made me use a bowl to scoop out water into the sink. One bowl at a time. Something about overflowing. Water displacement, duh. How I forgot that is beyond me.
5. Oil and Kaitlyn do not mix- There’s oil and water and then there’s oil and me. I think we are the more volatile combination because every time I cook with any kind of oil- any kind- I manage to get popped in the arm a few times. On low heat, high heat, with veggies, chicken, eggs. This is one I still haven’t figured out so if you have any tips honestly, send them my way because I now have a few stained shirts that were victims of oil splatter. (Not to self- lower spam into the pan, don’t drop)
6. To refrigerate or to not refrigerate- The age old question. Now some of these, to be fair, I might have been asking about in my delirium. Finals week stress, post-break idiocy, I don’t know. But enjoy the chronicles:
Anyway, needless to say I’m still learning. Breakfast… now that’s my jam. Check out literally any of my recipe posts and find that they are almost all breakfast because breakfast gets me. Still, in all seriousness, I thought this would be a cool post for the Internet to see because people definitely think I have my life together but clearly, I don’t. A friendly reminder that social media sees a small fraction of my triumphs and almost none of my struggles. So if you’re out there struggling, you’re not alone! And if you knew all this already and are just reading for a good laugh, I’m laughing with you.
Got any funny stories? Any tips (because I need them)? Comment below!