From Kaitlyn, To Sara. Twenty things she's taught me over our years of friendship.
I hope you are blessed with a heart like a wildflower.
Strong enough to rise again after being trampled upon,
tough enough to weather the worst of the summer storms,
and able to grow and flourish even in the most broken places.
- Hearts Like Wildflowers, Hearts Like Yours | Nikita Gill
Sara and I have only been friends for about two years now but I know we will have a friendship that lasts a lifetime. At first glance we seem similar and people even mistake us for twins (which honestly makes no sense but that’s for another day). As we’ve grown closer- as teammates, co-managers, housemates and friends- it’s obvious we are polar opposites on the inside. I believe that’s what makes our friendship so special. We hold each other accountable, learn from our differences, see situations in a new light. To celebrate 20 years of life, I’d like to share just some of the ways she’s helped me to grow as a person simply by being her unique self, touched my life and the lives of the people around us probably without knowing it. Because I think she has wisdom to impart that anyone can benefit from. Happy Birthday, Sara! You have a heart like a wildflower. I’m thankful for you and stoked to call you my friend.
1. To be honest about yourself, to yourself
2. A little aesthetic never hurt anybody. In fact, it makes life a little more bright.
3. Drop into the splits just for fun. Note: Don’t try this unless you can actually do the splits.
4. Own your style and your body type. Dress for you.
5. Keep friends close but your family closest, no matter the distance
6. Experiences > sleep. Always.
7. Laugh loud. At your own jokes. Trust me, it’s contagious.
8. Work for the job you want, the body you want, the friends you want. Nobody’s going to hand them to you.
9. Treat yourself. You absolutely deserve the chocolate and the flowers. Nobody knows your struggle but you.
10. It never hurts to check out the future. It’s much better than living in the past.
11. If you’re feeling yourself, FEEL YOURSELF. Because you’re hot and you should own it.
12. Whether you’re winning or losing, throw some sass at it. Some trash talk. Spice up the game, or life, just a little.
13. Laugh at your unfortunate mistakes. At the very least, they build character. And they make for the best stories.
14. Love with your whole heart- love people, love food, love adventures
15. Go back to your roots in your times of struggle. That’s your beginning, after all.
16. Sing in the shower (especially if you can sing like Sara)
17. Get to the point and take no bull
18. Tell your stories. Accidentally tell them over again. Just be sure that everyone has heard because they’ll appreciate it.
19. Live your faith with the free will of a human being who makes mistakes. It’s the fact that you always come back that matters.
20. Regret nothing